What is the mask made of?
The reusable protective face mask is made of 100% Nurel® XTRAFRESH fabric a special material that provides effective protection against transmission of viruses and bacteria1. It is tested according to UNE-EN ISO 20743-2014 and has the OEKO-TEX STANDARD 100 Certificate, which ensure that every component of the mask is void of any harmful substances. All masks are steam sterilised at 100ºC prior to delivery.
What is the inner filter made of?
The single-use filter replacement is made of test-certified paper EN 14683:2019 AC:2019 and meets all technical requirements.
Are the masks certified?
The masks are certified by top-notch laboratories. They are tested according to UNE EN ISO 20743:2014 and have a filtering percentage of viruses and bacteria of 98.4% laboratory tested by Eurecat, offering high protection. The Aitex laboratory certifies its splash resistance and offers 48.1% breathability according to Applus. Thus, protective masks meet the properties required of a type IIR level surgical mask with improvements consistent with prolonged reuse and better fit and face sealing:
98.4% effectiveness in particle filtering (with 2 filters), 95.7% (with 1 filter)
What level of protection against virus does the masks offer?
The World Health Organization recommends, for insulation procedures or with possible generation of infectious aerosols, the use of filter masks with a filtration efficiency of at least 95% for particles 0.3 microns in diameter. The masks have a laboratory-certified filtration efficiency of Eurecat of 98.4% for particles 0.3 micron in diameter, whether viruses or bacteria. Thus, they are effective against coronavirus as it is “transmitted mainly by respiratory droplets of more than 5 microns,” according to the Ministry of Health.
Laboratory tests are performed for both inner and outer sections and the manufacturer indicates that the layers of the material are the same for both. As health authorities indicate, the most important thing to prevent contagion is to maintain the safe distance at all times and wash your hands frequently.
What makes the fabric of the mask antibacterial?
The masks are made of revolutionary fabric containing silver articles within the yarn thus making it antibacterial. According to the latest studies in biosecurity, viruses are not the only risk when using masks. By absorbing moisture, pathogenic bacteria can grow directly in front of our airways. Evidence reveals that the outer face of surgical masks worn by dentists, such as those who do not normally work with infectious patients, can easily be contaminated with strep, staph, and other potentially dangerous microbes. Studies indicate that fabric masks can be even worse. This is avoided thanks to the silver ion-treated fabric that prevents the proliferation of bacteria.
Is it easy to breathe with the mask?
The breathability of the masks has been certified by Applus and is 48.1%, which is very high considering the high level of particle filtration. That's why children are hardly bothered with this reusable mask.
Which mask size should I choose?
Masks are available in three sizes by age group: 3 to 5 years, from 6 to 12 years old, and for adults. It is recommended to use the size indicated for the correct age group. The size of the mask for 3 to 5 years old is 145mm x 160mm (not including the ear loops):
The size of the mask for 6 to 12 years old measures 155mm x 180mm:
The adult size is 200mm x 220mm:
As the mask is stretched across the face, the fabric will adapt very well to the shape of the face for a total coverage of the nostrils, mouth, and chin. It also includes a nose holder, which can be placed inside the mask if necessary. For hygiene and safety reasons, Stikets shall not accept product returns if packaging has already been opened.
What are the advantages of using reusable masks?
Reusable masks are cost-efficient. After 8 hours of use, simply remove the filter and dispose the used filter properly. Wash or iron your mask to disinfect it and put in a new filter.
How do I disinfect my mask?
After removing the filter after each use and disposing it in the trash, it is recommended to wash the mask between 40ºC and 60ºC with regular soap. While you may opt to wash at a higher temperature, please take into consideration that the wear and tear of the fabric will be greater. To disinfect the mask, you may also be iron it—either as an alternative to washing or as a complement to it.
How many hours can I use the mask?
As for the hours of use, it is a matter of comfort and hygiene as some paper masks can get wet, for example. In the case of the Stikets reusable mask, the manufacturer has tested that it can be used for 8 hours without discomfort as the mask has great breathability. In addition, the mask being antibacterial will not be damaged by moisture. However, it is important to assess the type of activities you are doing while wearing the mask. If you have touched your face, soiled the mask or been in a very polluted environment, you should wash the mask and throw away the used filter as soon as possible.
Where are the masks manufactured?
The reusable masks distributed by Stikets are the result of a collaboration between members of the College of Engineers of Barcelona and two companies dedicated to the production of specialized textile products and distribution. All industrial manufacturing is done domestically and does not depend on foreign suppliers.
TEXTURED POLYAMIDE FABRIC
Textured polyamide fabric has the following technical characteristics and complies with the following regulations according to supplier’s declaration:
• It does not contain any hazardous substances under Regulation (EC) 272/2008 on the classification and labelling of hazardous substances and products (CLP).
• It does not contain any substances of high concern (SVHC) included in the list of candidate substances as last updated by the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) above
the 0.1% limit concentration in accordance with Regulation (EU) 1907/2006 REACH.
• The fiber is treated with the substance 'silver adsorbed on silicon dioxide' included in the list of biocidal chemicals, PT9 according to the official list of the Chemicals Agency (ECHA) of Article 95 of Regulation (EU) 528/2012 on the marketing of biocidal products (BPR) and therefore its effectiveness has been demonstrated to the European authorities in accordance with current regulations.
• Tested in accordance with ISO 20743 against Klebsiella pneumoniae and Staphylococcus aureus with efficacy results of 99.9%. Proven efficiency also after 100 washes at 40ºC. In addition, the fabric is steamed at 100ºC for sterilization.
The filter paper has the following technical characteristics and complies with the following regulations, as stated by the supplier:
• Meets weight and thickness standards in accordance to ISO 536:2012 and ISO 534:2011 regulations.
• Complies with air permeability standards in accordance to ISO 9237:1995 and tensile strength according to ISO 1924-2:2008.
• Complies with the requirements of EN ISO 10993-5:2009 Standard on Biological Evaluation of Medical Devices, as tested in the NAMSA accredited laboratory.
• It does not contain any hazardous substances under Commission Regulation (EC) No. 272/2008 on the classification and labelling of hazardous substances and products (CLP).
• It does not contain any Substances of High Concern (SVHC) listed as the latest update by the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) in accordance with REACH Regulation (EU) No. 1907/2006.
• Does not contain recycled materials.